Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Look What I Got!

I confess......cotton fabrics are my obsession!

When I was on vacation in IN, my former DIL brought over her huge collection of feedsacks and just left them at my daughter's for me to feel, admire, look, touch, drool, check, imagine, be nostalgic.......(you get the picture..right?)

She told me to take my time, go through them and take a few that I really liked.  Can you imagine??   Whoo Hoo!  I was in hog heaven!  I didn't count how many she had, and now wish I had.  Oh well, doesn't matter.   She had  them in a special storage box for fabrics and they were wrapped in acid free paper....totally protected.  She was so generous to share them with me. 

Here's what I selected.


Four......totally different feedsacks and four different colors and patterns.

There's no way I can use them or cut them up like some sellers on Etsy.   These are intact and still have the holes at the top where the heavy threads were sewn to close the sack and hold the feed inside.  Of course, the fabric is coarse compared to today's fabrics........but I just love them.

If you want to learn more about the marvels of them...read about it  here.

And it just makes me wonder how many of my blog readers have even heard of feedsacks, or seen one, or felt one.... or had a little flowered dress made from them that was made by your mother??     I had a red tiny flowers dress that had puff sleeves, a little white collar and buttoned up the front....all the way down.  I loved it and thought it was wonderful and that I felt so special when I wore it.


What about you??




Thanks for visiting.

11 comments:

  1. Awesome!! You wonder where that dress you had as a child is now right?? Hope it is still in the family somewhere. How special!

    Good luck coming your way, from me to you, on that fabric diet;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are gorgeous prints. While cleaning out the attic recently my parents found a quilt my grandmother made from feed sacks and we are hoping that it can be cleaned. Great score!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful samples of feedsacks. I remember my grandmother using them for clothing and quilts. She would send my grandfather to the store with orders to get several sacks that matched so she would have enough fabric for a project. Imagine if they still did that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your confession is no different then the rest of us quilters. I think we all boarder on being hoarders when it comes to our fabric stash. I have heard of feed saks, I know many a quilt has been made with them - but I have never seen one in real life. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I started first grade I had two dresses....both had been made from feed sacks. I also had a white pinafore that tied in the back made from an off-white feedsack.
    The dress I remember was blue with white flowers. Changing around the two dresses and adding the pinafore gave me all the clothes I had for one week. My Mother hand washed my school clothes in a wash basin with water heated on the wood stove with soap made by my G'mother. This was barely post depression days and I felt pretty, happy and rich in what we had.
    Marilyn in San Antonio, TX

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never had any clothing made out of feedsacks but I can just picture your dress with the Peter Pan collar.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know what is a feedsack .....but i think we don´t have any think like that here in Portugal, what a pity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun. Your feedsacks are probably in the best quality that I've ever seen. Enjoy.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't remember feedsacks but I do remember when flour came in white cotton sacks with a dishtowel sewn into the bottom seam. I would love to have a stash of those flour sacks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the information about feedsacks, very interesting!!!!! unfortunately we don´t have nothing like that here...I also have an obssesion for fabrics LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete