Sunday, October 4, 2009

SEWING FOR TSUNAMI VICTIMS

I thought I'd post again about this and share some of the simple totes & pillowcases I made for the Tsunami victims yesterday.  I plan on continuinng sewing more today and mailing them out to Bejeweled Barbara in American Samoa on Monday. 




Someone asked "Why Pillowcases"??  Because that is what Bejeweled Barbara suggested, and it really is a good idea.  They are easy to make, they can put their belongings in them, they are pretty to look at, easy to carry, and if they put their clothing in them, they can actually use them as  pillows.....when Fema starts setting up some tents for them.   Quilts are a good idea too, and they don't have to be fancy ones; maybe some small ones for snuggling for the children.

So.....get busy and sew up a few things.   Go to:  http://bejeweledbarb.blogspot.com/ to read more about it.

Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you're doing this and encouraging others as well. Quilters always put their hands and hearts together when someone is in need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea. IF I could sew, which I can't ... so I appreciate your efforts in doing this.
    Have a lovely week. TTFN ~Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if you can't sew, one of the ladies suggested that we send toiletries to them too, and little books or colors & color books for the kids. Once the tents are set up by Fema, there is little for the kids to do. If you want to help...you could send things like that to Barb and am sure she would get it to them just fine. A flat rate box will hold lots of the small bottles of personal items like that....dollar store type of things; toothbrushes, combs, brushes, gel hand cleaner, shampoos, etc.

    Thanks for helping us spread the word and please talk about it on your blogs and link it to Pat's or to Barbs or to mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am making pillowcases and will post it out next week. Barb is is so nice, and I got her address from her.
    Micki

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was away for three days- This is a great plan! I will start after school tomorrow!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy I have been trying to get in touch with you email. You won my give a way September on my www.welovequilting.com/blog Please email me at sadiemaesattic@aol.com with complete name and address where I can mail your prize.
    Thank you Chris Wheeler

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to all for your thoughtfulness in helping Tsunami victims. I've got a box to ship today and hope to send more next week.

    Again, we have such a wonderful quilting community.

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so wonderful of you all making these things to send to the Tsunami victims. I am sure it will be well received.

    ReplyDelete